Welcome to week eight of our Centennial Concert Season.
|The program for the July 29, 2015 concert is:|
|The Star Spangled Banner||arr. Himes|
|Colossus Of Columbia March||Russel Alexander, arr. Bainum|
|Second Suite In F||Gustav Holst|
|Historical Interlude: Presented by Dr. Dan Barr, Written by Ruth Bures|
|Lightning Fingers||Henry Fillmore|
|** Clarinet Soloists – Dr. Frank Bures and Jake Kiese **|
|Largo from the Double Concerto in D Minor||J. S. Bach, arr. Bures|
|** Clarinet Soloists – Dr. Frank Bures and Ruth Bures **|
|** Featuring the Clarinet Section **|
|The Black Horse Troop||John Philip Sousa, edit. Fennell|
|Selections from ‘Annie’||Charles Strouse, arr. Lang|
|America the Beautiful||Samuel Ward, Arr. Dragon|
Our Concert Sponsors for the evening are the The Louis and Hazel Harris Feiten Family in honor of Gladys Delano. Our Arts Partner is the Winona Arts Center.
The Louis and Hazel Harris Feiten family is sponsoring this concert in honor of Gladys Delano, their 2nd cousin. Gladys began playing in the Winona Municipal band in 1938 when she was in high school and continued until 2005, more than 65 years. She played under the batons of Orville Reese, Harold Edstrom, and Dick Lindner. After graduating from Winona State University, Gladys taught music in Dodge Center, Owatonna and Winona for 24 years. Many of her former students have played with her in the Winona Municipal Band, and credit her for their interest in music. She served as the band secretary, taking attendance in her little green book and keeping track of bandmembers’ pay. She enjoyed marching in parades and playing in concerts no matter the weather. As she herself said “I loved it ALL!” And now we honor her commitment and devotion to the Winona Municipal Band.
The Winona Arts Center is a creative network committed to increasing community awareness of the arts by featuring the work of local and regional artists, providing an intimate, unique environment for performances and exhibits and encouraging public participation by providing studio space, classes and workshops for children and adults.
After seven women spent the summer of 1956 painting together, they formed the Winona Art Group and met at the Lake Park Lodge. The Winona Art Group became a non-profit organization in 1964, and moved in to the former German-Presbyterian church building on 5th Street. The name was later changed to The Winona Arts Center to include all art forms. Last fall the Arts Center added the RiverBed Press printmaking studio in the lower level. Learn more at winonarts.org.